Carousel of books I enjoyed reading

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Computational genomics - where to start my diybio journey?

As an electrical engineer, with an ever growing interest and curiousity into DIY biology, synthetic biology and genomics, i wondered where to jumpstart this journey. So i figured it would be a good thing to start there where i understand the tools and language best. After searching for a while i stumbled upon the field of computational genomics. In particular i found the site http://www.computational-genomics.net/ which is part of course taught at the university of Bristol.


Currently, I  am working my way through the book (Introduction to Computational Genomics: A Case Studies Approach) and exercises. Already some familiar statistical techniques, i have been working with in other fields, passed by. In addition, it is very pleasing to see that so many of the basic software to analyse a genetic sequence are open source tools.

So hopefully my journey into the field of computational genomics is a little step forward and I am wondering where to go next. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment